Tuesday 18 May 2010

Scott's Thoughts on New Jersey


I went to New Jersey to meet the Company who was getting Broken Chords back up for the tour. It was interesting to be able to be on tour, and keep my head down as regards a piece of repertory that I was not performing in. Also, three new performers on board, who all seemed liked very nice peoples. Jessica from the theatre was very helpful with organising transport and whatall, and it felt like having a tour manager along when she was present in NJ. Also was good to be in a large, clean, well outfitted theatre, with professional crew and such. Nick and Dom (our Technical Team) seemed steady on with tech details.

I was in the audience for one show of Broken chords, and really really thought it looked great, and that a lot of care had gone into making and performing of it. It was good for me to see another piece of VDT rep, and be inspired by its qualities.

Performing IWGO was not unfamiliar. I wondered if having an American accent lost some of its impact when performing for Americans. There was some interesting post show discussion about how the work could be difficult for some audience, and also about how it might be difficult to perform in some ways. I got a general vibe, that there were middle class types in the audience on some nights, that were a bit to challenged by what was on the stage, and had to exit the theatre. It seems, after three tours of IWGO, that it may not be easy populist piece of work somehow... However, we got a decent review in the NY Times, which impresses most of my family to no end, and which, I assume, is helpful to the company on some level.

My biggest personal challenge with the performing of IWGO, is how to keep levity alive, in the face of so many existential questions...? Also, how to pitch irony, or, does irony work differently with different audiences? Etc.

I was sad to watch the company leave for the airport without me after NJ performances. I have grown very fond of these people. This is a familiar feeling at the end of a performance/tour project, and I don't know if I get any better at surviving it.

Practically, the North American tour was pillowed with lots of family visiting for me. Which is a whole other kind of intense personal experience. I am going to miss playing music and drinking beer and hanging out with people. I hope to see them sooner's.

No comments:

Post a Comment