Sunday 23 May 2010

Kip's Thoughts on America, May 2010


To have a new and a old piece together at one venue, is something of a rare happening especially for a British company to do in the States, so i think it was an invaluable opportunity that for me showed a clear through-line in Charlotte's thoughts and questions about how to approach a creative process.There was the more prominent aspects of how the 4th wall (audience) was slowly revealed in Broken Chords, and how it was toppled in If We Go On, to the point where the audience had to work hard and react be it positive/negative to really fully open up to what If We Go On was trying to say.

From the aspect of a performer in Broken Chords, I feel if it were to precede a performance of '
If We Go On,it would quench what i believe a 'non-dance' audience member wants from a piece of dance/theatre as regards the varying atmospheres created in the sections of the work (ie Loss/longing/recklessness/abandonment/comedy etc) and also a feeling of empathy/connection to the varying and strong personalities of the performers.The focus on this last element is key for me in the success and translation of the work. After all of this it introduces the question 'what is the role of the audience member' - passive/active?

And then If followed by
If We Go Oni think the audience will be prepared to approach the piece in a more conceptual/questioning way. They are aware of what Charlotte is beginning to challenge/question in Broken Chords and are on board to go further with this element of her work.

To step into a previous role in Broken Chords was an interesting one for me! As mentioned before the distinct personality of the performers almost makes
Broken Chords. So i was in a mental quandary as i knew that there were elements of Darren's role that worked well in the piece, but re-enacted on a different personality/ body will always achieve different results.Charlotte was aware of this and importantly allowed me to take the the essence/skeleton of Darren's role and mix it with my approach to the character. For me also missing the creative process to make the piece, made me think it would have possibly sustained my character throughout the performance,connecting the dots from an emotive point of view, if i knew what it took to get there.

As always there is a different sense of humour ranging from individual people to countries. Broken Chords has humor that is both subtle and blatant. But what I learnt from even going to different venues, is to never predict when the audience will find something funny and also poignant,as it changed from night to night and venue to venue.

A standing ovation in Canada was quite something for me, maybe I don't go to the right performances but it seems a rare occurance in Britain.

This was my first tour after Graduation, so not having any level of expectation meant all the treatment from the venues was splendid! Even the free bottled water and fruit was something to call home about. Every venue was very welcoming, and it is an amazing and humbling feeling to know that a venue is thankful and excited to have you there. Washed clothes (with fabric softener) in Ottawa was the creme de la creme of the tour for me.

I have to say the word dance 'company' was very apt for my time in USA/Canada.It was a splendid group of people to spend my time with and I felt like a contributing company member from the off. As with tours, you are at times living in each others pockets, eating rehearsing together. But the mix of people's backgrounds and personalities slotted in well together, and it was a pleasure to both dance and relax with a mightily interesting company, in which I learnt a tremendous amount. So cheers guys!

Also simply the fact that i performed with a company I highly admire and respect, combined with it being in USA and Canada. One cant complain!Very grateful and lucky indeed! Before i say adieu: Musicians! Musicians should be integral to every dance company.I say it is tremendously healthy to have that creative element in the studio. having Alex and PK simply playing around (quite beautifully) on the cello and violin for morning warm up, is a very fond memory of my time with VDT.

No comments:

Post a Comment