Sunday 12 July 2009

Scott after two weeks of rehearsals, 12 July 2009










I have put myself into the spaces provided by the design and director's suggestions, and proceeded to make improvisations. Was provided with texts, microphones, black boards and chalk among other things.

There seems to be some concern with ageing, or the ageing dancer/performer.
(what about it?)

Since I am an ageing dancer... Or since I am ageing, (who isn't). Or since I have aged. Perhaps, I am a likely candidate for this work.

We seem to have gone round a bit about the appropriate nature of a text. Do the words feel right (true?) for me etc. I have processed different opinions about this. At this point, I feel as if I might just work with whatever text is provided, rather than have an opinion about the content, as I perceive it. Like it would be a character or persona that I would occupy for the purpose of the work.

I have been interested in the act of speaking as theatrical behaviour. Or perhaps, I have been interested in the acts of making noise.

Its difficult to get jazzed about moving or dancing much, and I seem to have to almost force myself to do it. I'm feeling this produces a kind of effort- full effect. But I also am wondering if effort is a value that other people can recognise, and therefore objectify as dancing. Left to my own devices, I might roll about on the floor for too long. Or make softer movements, that would read differently. This question of effort as regards dance, is ongoing for me, and I think I might be less and less likely to produce entertaining movement behaviors, in the contemporary dance lexicon. I can't remember why to move. Or that my tastes for movement have become perversely odd.

It's been very possible to do things in rehearsal, I feel as if I could do things all day long. And that my own interests are more and more about doing things as an end in itself. It's the making of things that becomes a bit bemusing.

I would like to just be able to do things, as the purpose and result.
But maybe just doing things, is not quantifiable enough for making theatre?

There is a question forming for me, about what the organising principle(s) are. The Modus operindi. How behavior is produced or appropriated. Where does desire, appetite, or need reside? Or are these qualities necessary or appropriate?

Maybe some of all this, is about being a 51 year old performer. And as such, will find a place in the fabric this new work?

No comments:

Post a Comment