Thursday 16 September 2010

Carly's Thoughts after New York





















Our trip to New York has come and gone, as has the rest of spring and now from mid summer it’s great to be able to look back and reflect on the work we toured for all that time; the venues, the audiences, the education groups that contributed so much to our experience of If We Go On.
The performances at Montclair State University gave us an opportunity to view both If We Go On and Broken Chords side by side; a privilege for me as I was only performing in one of the shows but exhausting, I’m sure, for those directing, performing, tech-ing for both. I love the stark, sometimes seemingly barren, aesthetics of both shows coupled with the inside knowledge of how intricately detailed and controlled every aspect of every moment is. It was great to see/experience the questioning of the audience-performer contract develop from Broken Chords to If We Go On, to compare the different manifestations of creating and breaking fiction and a treat to be able to watch co company members do their thing from the comfort of a red velvet seat. All in all New York was fantastic........ Scott and I worked with some great students, I don’t think any of the show was lost in translation, I got a run around central park (note to self....run anti-clockwise next time), a trip to a very friendly physio and a few days of manic site seeing once the shows were done....... with the hope that the Icelandic ash cloud would mean I just had to stay for longer!!

No comments:

Post a Comment